Top 12 Website Mistakes to Avoid
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is your website saying about your company? Don’t make these website mistakes if you want to attract your ideal clients and prospects.
If there is one thing you want to spend money on for your business success, is your website. Companies and prospects look at your website – your online brand – and decide whether they will do business with you or not. What do you want to communicate when people stop by your website? How long are they going to stay on your site before they click on something else? Competition is fierce. If you don’t look good, customers will not take you seriously and may end up doing business with your competitor instead.
Here are the top 12 website mistakes to avoid when having a new website designed or upgrading/changing your old one.
- Doing it yourself and you are no designer.
- Not having clear goals about what you want to accomplish with your website.
- Having a friend that has done their own website (once) create yours. Or having your girlfriend, boyfriend, son, father, etc., create it for you because they know a little about doing websites – or at least more than you, which is not much. And wow, you don’t know why they are taking a long time to finish.
- Going with a designer that does not call you back in a timely manner and letting them get away with it.
- Paying 100% of the website cost in advance.
- Hiring an individual that has a full-time job.
- Doing your own graphics (unless you are a graphic designer).
- Not looking at examples of websites that your designer has created for other companies. Or looking at them and you know they don’t look good enough, but you still decide to hire them.
- Paying a hefty fee for your monthly hosting.
- Not having access to your website. or not owning your website. Worse, not knowing that you don’t own it.
- Letting your web company purchase your domain and you not having any control over it.
- Never doing any keyword study/analysis and expecting to get tons of hits to your website just because well, you think you should.